Have you reported repair issues to your landlord 3+ months ago and they've still not taken action?

What does housing disrepair mean?

Housing disrepair refers to the state of a property that has deteriorated to the point where it is no longer safe for habitation. This may manifest as issues such as broken windows, peeling paint, mold-infested walls and ceilings, or faulty electrical systems.

If you reside in a rented house, it is your landlord’s responsibility to maintain your home in good condition. When they fail to do so, you have the option to seek compensation for issues resulting from their poor maintenance of your home. In cases where they refuse to make necessary repairs or cover damages caused by their negligence, you may also consider taking legal action against them.

Housing disrepair means a property is in bad shape, with issues like broken windows, peeling paint, mold, or electrical problems. If you’re a tenant, your landlord must maintain the property. If they don’t, you can claim compensation for related problems. If the landlord won’t fix things or pay for damages due to their negligence, legal action is an option.

What issues are considered as housing disrepair?

How do I prove that my Landlord has let me down?

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985  requires landlords to ensure a safe and stable building structure, free from serious defects that could pose risks. If you’re a tenant dealing with disrepair, it’s crucial to document issues by taking photos or videos and keeping receipts for any self-repairs. This documentation proves that the disrepair existed before you moved in and wasn’t caused by your actions. In cases of significant structural problems like broken steps or window frames, promptly report them to your landlord. If they don’t address the issue, you might be eligible for compensation.

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, landlords must keep the building safe and structurally sound. If you’re a tenant with maintenance issues, it’s important to document them with photos and receipts for any self-repairs. This evidence proves that the problems were there before you moved in and aren’t your fault. For major structural problems, like broken steps or window frames, let your landlord know promptly. If they don’t fix it, you might be able to claim compensation.

Do I need to report housing disrepair to make a claim?

You must tell your landlord about the disrepair as soon as possible, and remember you can’t file a claim right away; they should have a chance to fix it. You can inform them via email, text, letter, or in person. For a strong compensation case, keep records of these interactions, like dated email threads, text message screenshots, or copies of letters.

This notice should be given at least 3 months before starting a housing disrepair claim.

Ready to claim compensation?

Start your claim now or speak to one of our friendly team over the phone and find out if you're eligible for compensation. We offer a free, no-obligation eligibility check, just fill out our Housing Disrepair enquiry form.

Start your claim nowRequest a call

Housing Disrepair FAQs

How much is the average Housing Disrepair claim worth?

How much money could you get? The average compensation amount paid is usually between 20% and 50% of the annual rent paid on your property. The calculation depends on the severity of the problem and the length of time you’ve been affected.

What is the Housing Disrepair claims process?
  1. Submit a claim enquiry
  2. Receive a phone call to discuss the issues with your home
  3. Gather evidence
  4. Our team will create a case, we will keep you updated
  5. Receive compensation

Making a housing disrepair with Courmacs Legal is easy. As experts in this area of law, we know exactly how to fight a claim against housing assossiations at fault. We handle all the paperwork and all we ask is that you provide evidence such as photographs of mould, holes in the roof/ceiling, broken outlets and facilities etc. This will help us prove that your landlord is at fault and you are owed compensation. 

What are Courmacs' fees?

We do not take any up-front fees! You may have heard of ‘no win, no fee’ – this seems a little daunting, however it just means that we back every compensation claim with insurance to ensure that if your case is lost, you will not have to pay anything. 

If your case does win and you receive compensation, we will take a percentage to cover our solicitors’ time working on the case.

We guarantee that all our clients will receive at least 51% of the compensation rewarded. 

Need help?
Let's get in touch!

Request a callback

If you would like to know how we store and process  your details, please see our Privacy Policy.